Named for nearby Burgaw Creek, Burgaw, NC is a railroad town that developed around the crossroads built by the Wilmington & Raleigh Railroad company. The train station depot, built in the 1830's and originally known as "Cypress Grove," began to be called Burgaw Depot by the Post Office in 1854. After the Civil War ended, an employee of rail line, W.H. James, deemed the area around the station depot to be a good place for a town and in 1876 the Wilmington & Raleigh, now know as Wilmington & Weldon, deeded a plot of land of Pender County for the establishment of the town, and was officially incorporated in 1879. Now over a century later Burgaw, NC is a pleasant mix of historic charm and modern convenience. Located off of Hwy 40 and Hwy 17 its easy commute to area military bases, and the beaches, shopping and dining options of nearby Wilmington, Burgaw is an ideal in between for people looking for quiet country charm and exciting city living.